Skip to main content

We went to Mitten Kitten!

Witness Tibbs-Babu superstar Jerry, storywriter Tiffany, and me - I've been here the whole time! - at Mitten Kitten hosted by Lansing Roller Derby!

Photo of Tiffany making a heart gesture with her hands while Cam takes the selfie.

Photo of Cam hugging Jerry around the shoulders behind the Rorasuketo table.

Thanks to everyone who stopped by, grabbed a sticker, picked up a controller, gave a sidelong glance, and shared the space. I haven't been at a derby event like this in a while, so I was worried that it would be weird, but all of our lovely visitors (and hosts!) put us at ease. I actually cried a little as I watched my old team take their victory lap. It was good to be back in the community and see so many things happening around us that were like, "Yeah, that's why derby is great."

We are getting some reports of bugs in Eastcroft City (Finale chapter). Save early and often, and I recommend going straight to the derby venue on the non-snowy day. I hope to patch those bugs this weekend.

Photo of a crowd of colorful roller derby participants gathered around a computer monitor while a woman holds a game controller.

At one point today, we actually had a crowd gathered!

Like... you logically know you made a story-rich game with visual novel elements, but when you are in an environment where it's being played socially and briefly, it's a bit nerve wracking. We were definitely working out some kinks as we went, and trying to skip dialogue -heavy scenes to get to the juicy derby action. We also tried to tell people it was about mental health, friendship, and personal growth. But sometimes it is just fun to hip check a ho. Some parts of Rorasuketo are best played alone, when you can reflect. It didn't totally translate to the occasion, but hopefully we still connected with folks!

Another wrinkle was that derby events are loud, and I had forgotten how loud. As such, Nebyoolae's beautiful music was drowned out except during a few halftime dance parties. I hope those who go on to purchase the game are pleasantly surprised by how amazing the soundtrack is and just how much it amps up the drama.

On the other hand, not everyone has the same abilities when it comes to the sense of sound. There are places in the game that use sound as lead-in cues for time sensitive minigames, and I foolishly didn't realize how that makes it inaccessible and frustrating for some people. Playing the game muted was very enlightening. So at some point, I would like to add some visual countdowns to go with the audio cues. Probably not this update, but one after midterms! So if you are a member of the Deaf community, please bear with me, and I am sorry I was so careless.

Cam pointing to a street sign that reads "Barnes Street."

Keep being you, because you are so worth it.

Comments