Curators are a feature of Steam I never really paid attention to. Now I am getting emails from curators. If I give them 4 Steam Keys, they will play and review my game, and with that comes the clout and glamour of being curated.
This could be an outright scam, it could be a collective of friends who've discovered a way to score free video games, or it could be simply not the right medium for a legitimate reviewer, but so far, I haven't felt a strong compulsion to engage with the system.
The main reason for this disinterest is that these curators will have "reviewed" 1,700 games and they will all be "recommended." Not one "not recommended." Not a single negative review.
Essentially, I would be bribing someone to leave me a positive review, and nullifying its value in the process.
That's what curation appears to be from my end. So, for now, I don't expect to distribute Rorasuketo to any curators. Know that reviews for the game are not bribes or strong-armed in any way.
I am still waiting for that review to come in - the one that ruins my day, or maybe even my week. It's coming, and I am trying to prepare for it as best I can!
If you are a Let's Player, I might be interested in hearing from you. A piece of advice: Give a reason why the game interests you - what elements draw your eye - instead of just copy-pasting the Steam description that I wrote.
I have reached out to three LP'ers that I am fans of because I have enjoyed their work, and told them they are under no obligation to LP or promote the game. In fact, I do not really expect either because they have more clout than that! But that's the exception so far.
I want people to play my game, but I do not want to be scammed or destroy any of the little legitimacy I have.
Comments
Post a Comment