Skip to main content

On the act of connection - and we did it!

It is easy to feel like a phony or a rat or a sellout in the beginning of the marketing and promotion shuffle. Does my stupid little thing even deserve to be seen by anyone? I must be crazy thinking this is going to go anywhere. I don't want to beg for someone to pay attention to what I'm doing. Why am I promoting when I could just be working on my art? And so on. It feels like a real uphill slog. But I find self-promotion is coming more easily with practice and just a little headway. By this stage, much of that doubt is transforming into "I get to meet all these cool people and talk to them about interesting stuff." The trick is finding those people and getting through the rejections. Perhaps I'm just very, very lucky.

I'm imagining if I had decided to make, say, a gruesome first-person shooter tailored to assholes, and how much of a chore it would be for me to navigate that culture. (Maybe assholes are your thing, but they are not mine.) Instead, I'm talking to people who are like, "Queer? Awesome. Body positivity? Awesome. Mental health? Awesome. Let's be nice to each other!" And it does not feel like I am a slimy salesperson doing a chore. It feels like I am a human making connections and following my values and my passions. Feels great, by the way.

I really appreciate all the connections we've made with people so far, and am looking forward to all the connections yet to come. 

We met our very humble sales goal on our fourth day! So thanks to everyone who had faith enough in our little venture to throw some hard-earned money our way. I really hope the game is out there in the world, doing what I meant for it to do. I guess we'll see how many more bridges we can build in and out of game!

Comments