I dove back into SteamPipe last night to upload the official version 1.00 of the game, so we are ready to push the button to launch at any time. It's exciting.
Usually, my cats dominate my living space, whether it's sleeping butthole-to-head, occupying comfy chairs, or having a good old fashioned lap-sit. Normally, I don't have the heart to move them. But when SteamPipe is on my monitor, cats are unceremoniously removed from my desk. Usually multiple times. They are very confused by this. But I'm not taking any chances.
When I am on a computer, phone, app, etc. as a user, everything seems very stable and safe and under control. But when working with my project, everything feels so remarkably fragile. Could a keystroke in the SteamPipe UI break everything? What if I uncheck a box in RPG Maker and the whole thing crashes on launch? Is the entire electronic world teetering on the brink of disaster as much as it feels my work does? Probably not. But then there's always the coconut.
Something I am considering is moving into GitHub for what the cool kids call "version control." Up until now, I've been compressing and hoarding away, on both two hard drives and a cloud, different versions of the game - maybe once a week when I'm grinding at it, and every time I am about to make a major change otherwise. (I am sorry to the devs who just white-knuckled.) It's worked out with relatively few hiccups, perhaps by the grace of Grabthar, but I am aware there are better ways. (Just don't ask about the time I decided to shift all the maps, and therefore warp events, 6 spaces down - without backing up first. WE DON'T TALK ABOUT THAT.)
Our composer Nebyoolae keeps chanting, "GitHub! GitHub!" but I'm extremely intimidated by it. The vocabulary, the amount of stuff I most certainly don't understand, and the fact that RPG Maker, to me, is a magic little box that does what I tell it, so why worry? There's relatively little code I actually interact with, and people who use GitHub seem to have their act together. I don't. Therefore, it must not be for me?
But with Rorasuketo probably having several live updates in its future - hopefully not the immediate future, but it could be that I missed a continuity error or botched move route - I need to get myself into GitHub. I also want to invest in a flash drive or three, kept in a few different locations, just to be extremely safe.
Sorry to pull back the curtain on my incompetence, but as the saying goes, it is what it is.
Comments
Post a Comment