Skip to main content

To promote or not to promote?

Like most artist types, I'm not much for self-promotion, marketing, and other such things. I put out a comic book about 10 years ago and just kind of hoped it would vacate the shelves of one local bookstore on its own. I didn't do appearances or anything like that. I still have 20 copies or so (I had 50 printed) sitting in a box in a closet.

With Rorasuketo, I recognize some degree of promotion needs to happen if I want it to be seen by anyone. I've done some webcasts and forum posts (and this blog), and I'll be doing a Mitten Kittens appearance - hopefully with co-writer Tiffany, by the way! I could probably be doing much more, but I find myself hesitant to really go nuts. Our dutiful composer Nebyoolae asked, "Don't you believe in Rorasuketo?"

I do and I don't.

I believe that Rora is a game for a certain type of person who's looking for a certain type of experience. I want to promote it so that person can find it, absolutely - but I don't want to put on airs that it's something it's not, nor do I want to try to get everyone to play it.

Am I proud of what we've accomplished? Yes.

Will everyone enjoy Rorasuketo? Probably not.

Do I want a massive influx of players to spend money on this game, get annoyed, and leave bad reviews on Steam? For gourd's sake, no.

Furthermore, as the perennial perfectionist, I find myself irked by the fact that the game isn't flawless, ingenious, or gorgeous. It's a project that embraces limitations - even clings to them sometimes. I don't feel comfortable selling it as the most amazing thing since sliced bread, because it's not. I'm trying to avoid the game dev subreddits lately because I see so many people making so many beautiful games, and after a little scrolling, I feel like a hack and a fraud. I think Rorasuketo is exactly what it is, and it's good for what it is - but is what it is worthy of marketing?

Rora is foremost an endeavor of the spirit. I'm still figuring out how to "sell" that.

Comments