Skip to main content

Letting go of Achievements.

It's been a real struggle figuring out the SteamPipe documentation. I've been learning that the instructional videos from Steam itself have incorrect, outdated, or misleading information in them. (!) It took a lovely tutorial from a YouTuber to get me on track. Many thanks to AuroDev for putting that out there.

I spent today trying to sort out how to make Achievements work with RPG Maker MZ. There are several different plugins/workarounds out there that promise such integration, one of which looked very promising. I even started to mesh it into the game... but I couldn't get it to work. Someone tried to have AI give me instructions, which I reluctantly followed with an enormous degree of distrust. There were a lot of very rocky moments here in Casa de Norcross as I raged my way through several misunderstandings. I've been told that I need to use my indoor voice when making futile verbal requests of my computer.

There's really not enough documentation for these plugins to my liking (in English, anyway), and I find myself flying blindly, only half-recognizing what it is I'm trying to accomplish. When something doesn't work, I really don't have the background to troubleshoot. It feels like walking a tightrope for the first time while trying to balance a couple grocery bags on each hip.

Therefore, I am scrapping Achievements for now. I was very excited at the prospect of having them, but stacking so many things I don't understand on top of each other is very dangerous. I'm already on a steep learning curve without adding more of this stuff.

Maybe someday, I'll put it together, but for now, I'd rather have something that works reliably.

Comments