Skip to main content

Rorasuketo influences: The derby.

Photo by Soul Collector, DeFord Designs. Cam the jammer.

As a kid, I did not play sports much outside of the mandates of gym class. We've already discussed Final Fantasy.

At age 30, I attended my first roller derby game. And, like most derby skaters, I knew by the end that of that first game that it was something I had to do. So I became, contrary to everything I had ever been, an athlete!

There's a lot more to derby than you might expect. To the untrained eye, it's a bunch of people skating around in a circle, occasionally hitting each other. One might not even know the difference between a blocker, a jammer, and a pivot. Things just kind of happen and you "ooh" and "aah" at the big hits. But there's a lot going on. There are specific blocking techniques and when to use them (and if you're really good, you don't actually need to employ a big hit). There are different wall formations with their own names. There are signals you throw to get your teammates to perform very specific offensive and defensive roles. And then every skater has their own strengths and weaknesses in those abilities. Cough, cough. All perfect for a "Skills" menu command in a JRPG.

Photo by Soul Collector, DeFord Designs. Cam the referee signaling points.

I started off slowly and painfully. It took 12+ tries to get my 27 laps in 5 minutes. It was a year to get to the point where I actually passed my evaluation and was cleared to play in an actual game. So it was a grind. But it was possible, because...

...what really drew me to derby was the empowerment aspect. As one of the female persuasion, it was great to see something really strong and cool I could do because of who I was, as the messaging often was that I would be strong and cool despite who I was. Roller derby is primarily a sport for women (women of all kinds, including queer folks, too!), and it's also very body positive. There are bodies of all shapes and sizes, and each kind has its own strengths on the track. This is a great boon to me, too, as I've also struggled with body image a lot.

And it's accessible to anyone who can stand on skates - even someone who hasn't been on wheels since the seventh grade class party. (Ahem.)

Torgo, my hematoma. Tripped over my own feet. Cool injuries happen under the lamest of circumstances.

Because I was also struggling with my mental health at the time, it was a way for me to toughen up in that department, too. That is probably an entirely different discussion. But it was a really important piece.

So were the relationships. I didn't have a lot of friends at the time, and it was a great way to meet people and form connections. As a referee and non-skating official (NSO), I traveled to other leagues and helped with their games, meeting many different people - including our very own Tiffany Van Peenen, story writer. Tip: If you are a geek and want to get involved with roller derby, volunteer as an official. It's where your people are.

My derby career peaked when I joined the "A" team - the skaters responsible for your league's WFTDA rankings and playoffs eligibility - and I even traveled to the Philadelphia area for the North American Continental Cup East in 2018, where I had the honor of actually skating a few jams (notably 1:15:12, where I stumble around as Black #60) instead of just sitting on the bench.

These are all central themes to Rorasuketo - gameplay, struggle, empowerment, mental health, relationships, achievement. I played roller derby for almost 5 years, and it was an enormous part of my life. Hopefully I can share the experience for those who can't or won't play the real thing - and more hopefully still, it is enjoyable!

Comments