Skip to main content

Sprite enlargement blues!

Put me in front of a big canvas with infinite colors, and it's absolutely paralytic with possibilities. But with pixel art, sometimes the difference between a guitar and not a guitar is the placement of one or two little dots. A lot of things are just, well, clearer. The limitations can be a lifesaver.

When I first began to make portraits for Rorasuketo, I searched for a classic NES color palette and went to work in 48 x 48 pixel squares. A pretty modest size.

However, I recently decided to bump those up to create more unity between the resolution of the on-screen elements. So 48 pixels would become 72, or a 150% increase. In case you didn't know, that's super awkward to scale. But I have maybe half the character portraits done by this time. It's coming along.

New on the left. Old on the right. With some additional attention, of course. (What was I doing with that hair before?) Anyway, I'm enjoying the increased detail, and I hope others do, too.

Comments