Skip to main content

Affection is key.

I first played Earthbound as an adult. I was going through a rough period with my family, to put it mildly. I remember picking up the little black phone to call Ness' mom and nearly crying when she told me I was a hero and I would go far. I decided that if I made a video game, I would put in some surrogate friends and/or family because it was so healing. Sort of like the "empty chair" exercise in certain therapies.

I've also (half-ashamedly) played a dating sim that will remain nameless, as well as Harvest Moon, and of course Final Fantasy VII, all of which had affection point accumulations. These are Rorasuketo influences. Some people are living in a lonely place, as I have, and games can help spark a little bit of much-needed oxytocin.

Currently, I'm plopping in gift-giving mechanics and a couple of "dates."

I could be working on the battle mechanics, but this is just such a rewarding process that I can't seem to stop myself. It's a pretty central component of the game. Of course, you get rewards that boost stats, items, and battle skills from friendship and other events, so it can be goal-focused, but I also hope the characters create warm and fuzzy feelings in the player.


Comments